There are three different elements on your way to be online! In order for you to have an online presence this post will make those three points simple what, hopefully, will enable you to deal with any subject around those three elements with the necessary confidence to have your own online presence established!
A domain it`s a name and also your address. It can be compared to a door that will lead to everything else necessary for your online presence to be complete. Buying a domain guarantee you are the owner of that name and usually it`s the very first step when you are looking for setting up your online presence!
Examples of domains are:
Tips and important notes:
- No two people can have the same domain. Once you buy it, it`s 100% yours.
- Domains appear as unavailable to other people when they try to buy it and it`s yours! Even if at first it does not display as unavailable, it will be once they attempt to make a payment.
- Domains are paid yearly and are inexpensive. It enables you to secure your business or website name and allow you to have access to a professional e-mail address with help of ThatPix.
- Having segments inside of your domain does not cost anything. If ThatPix want to have a blog, https://www.thatpix.com/blog don`t need to be bought for example.
- Http or Https before a domain name have nothing to do with your domain, should not take your attention for now and will be a topic for a next blog post. Stay tuned!
- .com, .net. .org etc, are extensions that are part of the domain name. That being said, www.google.com and www.google.org are completely different domains.
- If you own, for example, www.translatorhappiness.com and someone want to buy www.translatorhappiness.net, he will be able to if it`s available. This means that if you want to obtain all three most used domain extensions (or TLDs) for your business name (that are .com, .net and .org), you will need to buy those separately.
- Domains can cost more (or a lot more) depending of what exactly is the desired name. A domain short or easy to market like www.hello.com can cost more than $10.000.
- Protect the information around your domain very carefully! The owner of a domain is the person in charge of the brand!
- It`s possible to have multiple domains pointing/being redirected to the same content! Google in the past, for example, bought domains like “www.goolge.com” so people that would write google wrong would still land in the correct web page. You can check it out: https://www.goolge.com
- Some people live from buying and selling domains around. Some names are very interesting so they value more as they are easy to remember or to market.
Once you have a domain, it`s time to talk about Hosting and Website content.
Hosting is a monthly service that you pay to have your information stored and available to be directed by a domain. The hosting connects your domain to the internet and allow people to go somewhere once they type your domain. That`s why when you type: https://www.thatpix.com you see a website being loaded and not a white error screen like this.
The first and only hosting dedicated and custom made to translators in the world is ThatPix! That`s an example of host.
Tips and important notes:
- Hosting has a role in your everyday activities. It`s what decides a good portion of the speed of your website, where your information will be store, how much information can be stored, how many people will be able to access it at the same time and many, many, other things.
- Hosting once correctly setup it`s very easy to deal with and should be the least complex and most distant part of your process of being online. Most of the time you just will focus on paying a monthly fee without having to check anything else.
- A host is where your website content will be stored and displayed to whoever try to access your domain!
- You can host a temporary page until your website is not finished! It will be hosted there and will change once your website is done!
- With ThatPix host and a domain, you can have professional e-mails like [email protected]!
- If your host is not connected to your domain because the last one was not setup properly, it will not gather the information inside your host. Therefore, if a domain is correctly purchased but it`s not connected to your host nothing will come up once you try to access your domain (In ThatPix, for example, we take care of those settings to make sure your domain it`s going to work with our hosting).
- It`s no easy task to change hosts. Choose carefully to not have to pay more (sometimes way more) in the future because of transference fees or lose important data in the process. Also most of the time transferring hosts can mean downtime for your website. If you are stuck with a bad host, we will make a blog post to talk about in the future!
- Hosts have physical limits that, once you become big enough, require you to do some small upgrades to support your flux of new clients and visitors. Your web developer should know your hosting limitations when making your website to make sure that this limit will not be achieved faster than it should for you to have time to profit comfortably before requiring any hosting upgrade.
- If someone have access to your hosting account, make sure it`s either someone you trust or you have a contract with. Hosting accounts have all your precious information and should be protected!
- You could possibly host a website from any machine of the world. Even your own computer! The downside is that you probably would have the slowest, most unstable and short-lived hosting setup in the world due to overheating, internet provider limitations, hardware limitations and a number of other things! That being said it`s still interesting that any computer could do it, even if not in a reasonable or practical way.
- Hosts most of the time operate in very cold places, like close of the Arctic Circle in Sweden, because it`s a very good way to keep the servers cool due to the insane amount of heat created by billions of users accessing websites.
A website is the form that your content (inside your host when already connected to a domain) will have once someone access it! It`s made from how information inside a host is created, allocated and programmed to work!
Because this topic is far more extensive than the other two, it will have a dedicated blog post! Stay tuned to see our tips, warnings and facts about Websites!
The relationship between domain, hosting and a website is more simple than it looks and knowing a brief description about those elements enable a translator do deal about it with more confidence than if they didn`t know about it.
Interesting? Don`t forget to give a like, share and subscribe!